Gig Harbor was settled in the late1860s by fishermen and later by loggers, mostly of Scandinavian decent.
Through the 1880s and up until the 1950s several lumber mills lined the shores along with fishing boats and canary’s. In 1917 automobile carrying ferries traveled between Tacoma and Gig Harbor making commuting a possibility, but by the late 1930s a call for a bridge was realized. In 1940 the Tacoma Narrows Bridge opened to the public but fell apart during a 40 mph wind storm. The bridge was replaced by 1950 and a new parallel bridge was completed in 2007.
Gig Harbor incorporated officially in 1946 and is now considered a wealthy suburb of neighboring Tacoma.