Turist resort at the province of Gipuzkoa. Received the title of city in the year 1203. Due to its location near the border with France, it has been an strategic location over the centuries. Port of the Kingdom of Navarre and them part of the province of Gipuzkoa. Its old part is one of the most beautiful among Basque coastline towns.
During the 1970s high-rise construction developed near the beach area, but because of the proximity with the airport high-rise construction is no longer allowed.