The most important and the biggest town outside of Bilbao’s metro-area. Founded in 1180 Durango is home to many palaces such as Kurutziaga or Santa Ana. Both of them built before the 16th Century. There are a couple of churches built in the baroque era, San Pedro of Tabira and Santa Maria of Uribarri. Both churches had to be reconstructed after the civil war because of bombardments perpetrated by Franco’s troops killing many people inside the churches.
Durango is the capital of the Durangalde region, with more than 100.000 inhabitants inside Biscay province. The town still maintains the old part of the city, with narrow streets, but unfortunately most of it was destroyed during the bombardments of the civil war in 1937. Durango has grown hugely since them, more than quadrupling its population. Many people came to the town during the 60’s and 70’s because of its powerful industry.
And have continue to come even after the crisis because Durango offers more affordable prices in terms of real-estate. The town is side by side with Iurreta (which was part of Durango from 1926 to 1990) and is famous because of a Feria that takes place every year regarding Basque culture, books and discs published every year in the Basque Country.