Irondequoit is a residential suburb of Rochester, which borders it on the south and west. It is bordered on the north by Lake Ontario and on the east by Irondequoit Bay. The town's name is of native American origin and means "where the land and waters meet." Irondeqouit Bay was visited by the French explorer LaSalle in 1669. Fort des Sables was built at the mouth of the bay by the French in 1717. The town was incorporated in 1839.