Lod is situated in the south-east of the Tel Aviv Metropolis.
Lod's history dates from 1500 b.c.e.
In Maccabean times it was a purely Jewish town, and later Julius Caesar restored the privileges of its Jews, taken away by the Greeks. In 43 c.e. Cassius, governor of Syria, sold its Jewish inhabitants into slavery. The Romans burnt it down and rebuilt it as a Roman city and by the Byzantine era, the town was predominantly Christian. It was the legendary birthplace of St. George, patron saint of England, and was called Georgiopolis. Captured by the Muslims in 636, then by the crusaders which occupied the town in 1099, and by the Ottoman period there was but one Jewish family left among 17,000 Arabs, one-fifth of them Christian.
The city was rebuilt in 1949. Israel's international airport, renamed in honor of David Ben-Gurion, was originally built on the outskirts of Lydda by the British Mandatory government in 1936. Both the airport and Israel Aircraft Industries are important sources of employment. New high-density residential neighbourhoods have been developed such as
Ganei Ya'ar and Ganei Aviv.