Located in Middle Franconia the city is home to the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg and is an important center for light industry.
The Baroque design of Erlangen has been retained as have the palace of the Margraves and the palace gardens, the Orangerie and the Botanical Gardens as well as Atzelsberg, a Baroque castle to the north of Erlangen. The Markgrafentheater is the oldest Baroque theater still in use in Southern Germany, and Erlangen Museum offers an interesting restrospective exhibition of the town‘s history.
The Old Town was founded in 1367 and the New Town of the Huguenots in 1686. The two cities merged in 1812. The Old Town, formerly surrounded by a wall, is confined to a small area. Martin-Luther-Platz is an excellent example of Baroque city planning, carried out after the Fire in 1706. The New Town "Christian Erlang" is one of the few remaining cities built in the Baroque style where streets are laid out in a rectangular arrangement and the Main Street opens on to large squares.