Decatur is a suburb of Atlanta located five miles east of downtown. The seat of DeKalb County, it was incorporated as a town in 1823 and as a city in 1922. It was named for Commodore Stephen Decatur, who became famous in the War of 1812. A battle of the Civil War was fought here in 1864. Decatur's downtown has a small skyline of mid-rise office buildings.