Located on the central shores of Lake Okanagan, Kelowna was founded in the 1860s as a supply town to the Cariboo gold miners. The CPR sternwheeler made regular stops at Kelowna (the only way to reach Kelowna was via the water until 1925) which led to further development. By 1892 a new townsite was laid out and the city was incorporated in 1905. Growth was moderate through WWI and WWII, but exploded through the 1950s. A floating bridge (one of only a few found in the world and one of only two found outside of Washington State) was completed in 1958.
Today the Valley is one of the most productive in the Province. Apples, peaches, cherries, ginseng, plums, grapes, and some of the best wines come from the lands in and around Kelowna.