Fort Lee is at the western end of the George Washington Bridge, one of the major Hudson River crossings to Manhattan. It lies atop the Palisades Ridge, some 315 feet (94 meters) above the river.
A fort named for General Charles Lee of the Continental Army was built here early in the American Revolution. Intended to protect the upper Hudson, it quickly fell to the British in November 1776.
Easy access to New York and magnificent views of the city have encouraged development of a large number of residential towers, ranging from the bridge southwards into Hudson County.