Located 15 miles east of downtown Jacksonville in northern Florida, Jacksonville Beach is bordered by the Intracoastal Waterway to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.
The Jacksonville Beach area was originally inhabited by the Timucuan Indians. Europeans first explored the shores in 1513, during Ponce de Leon's search for the Fountain of Youth. The Spanish were the first to settle directly in what is now Jacksonville Beach. The area was ceded to the United States in 1821.