Odessa is located 17 miles west of Midland and is the seat of Ector County. The city is an industrial center involved in the manufacturing of oilfield equipment. It is also a center for shipping livestock. Settled in 1886 by a group of Russian German colonists, it became a city in 1927. With the discovery of oil in Ector County in 1928, Odessa's growth was rapid. Today the surrounding Permian Basin supplies one quarter of the nation's crude oil, gas liquids, and natural gas.