Volgograd's was founded in 1589 as a fortress with the purpose of defending the unstable southern border of Russia. Until 1925 the city had the name Tsaritsyn, but was changed to Stalingrad.
It was with this name that the city became famous as one of the main battlefields during the Second World War. In honour of this victory the enormous monument Motherland is Calling was erected in the 1960s. In 1961 the city also got its current name; Volgograd.
Today Volgograd is an important industrial city with a major railway junction. Its industries include shipbuilding, oil refining, steel and aluminium production, as well as manufacture of machinery and agricultural vehicles.
The Second World War left the city in total ruin, and almost all buildings are therefore post-war. The city primarily features residential high-raises, which dates back to the Soviet Period. A few new high-raises are in the pipeline, among them the Volzhskie Parusa by the Volga river.