Burlington lies in southeastern Iowa on bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River, about 165 miles southeast of Des Moines. It is a river port and shipping center for the surrounding agricultural area. Industries include electrical and electronic equipment, boilers, steam turbines, and furniture. Laid out in 1833, it was named by a settler from Burlington, VT the next year. Incorporated in 1835, it served as Iowa's territorial capital from 1838 to 1841. Burlington is the seat of Des Moines County.