Tampere was founded as a market place around Tammerkoski river in 1775
by Gustav III and four years later, 1779, it was granted a full township
status. Tampere quickly grew a major market place and industrial centre
of Finland. In the latter half of 19th century, almost half of Finland's
industrial workforce was at Tampere.
City itself was originally rather small, only a few square kilometres.
It was enlarged by joining some neighbouring areas to Tampere. Messukylä
was incorporated in 1947, Aitolahti in 1966, Teisko in 1972 and finally
Lielahti in 1950.
Tampere has transformed itself from an industrial centre to information
technology and arts centre. Old industrial areas around the Tammerkoski
river are being converted to residential and office use and are quite
sought after places.