Ramat Gan borders Tel Aviv - Yaffo to the east. Founded in 1921 as a small town named Ir Ganim (garden city), it offered its residents a quiet village-like lifestyle while benefiting from the nearby emerging metropolitan city. Two years later the town was renamed Ramat Gan.
Jewish immigration waves in the 1930s and 40s saw a rapid urbanization process and city status was gained in 1950 with 22,000 inhabitants. The following years were defined by a large immigration wave of Jewish refugees mostly from Iraq, tripling the city's population to 62,000 inhabitants in 1955.
The city's current borders were formed in 1961 when Bar-Ilan University (one of three academic institutions in the city, itself with more than 16,000 students) and Tel-HaShomer Hospital (Israel's largest to date) and surrounding small neighborhoods were annexed to the city.
Ramat Gan's CBD, the Diamond Exchange District or Bursat HaYahalomim, was established by Moshe Schnitzer in the mid 60s, and as the name indicates revolved around the diamond industry, turning Israel into the world's largest exporter of fancy-cut diamonds in the 1980s and 90s.
The Diamond District popularly known as the 'Bursa,' is home to the country's tallest skyscraper, City Gate Ramat Gan, claiming the second best skyline in a friendly scraper-rivalry with Tel Aviv.
City attractions include Israel's national stadium; the Maccabiah sport village and the country's largest zoological center, Safari Ramat Gan, spread over 250 acres and home to over 225 species of animals. With roughly 120 public gardens and parks covering over 25% of the city's total area, one can still find the tranquillity the city has to offer.