exterior-view-from-the-pontstraathttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/411916-Medium-exterior-view-from-the-pontstraat.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/411916-Large-exterior-view-from-the-pontstraat.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderenarea-view-on-the-southern-porchhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/411979-Medium-area-view-on-the-southern-porch.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/411979-Large-area-view-on-the-southern-porch.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderentop-view-on-the-tower-located-at-the-intersection-of-the-nave-and-the-transepthttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/412036-Medium-top-view-on-the-tower-located-at-the-intersection-of-the-nave-and-the-transept.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/412036-Large-top-view-on-the-tower-located-at-the-intersection-of-the-nave-and-the-transept.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderen
During the first construction period (1480- ca. 1495) the choir was built.
The second building period (ca.1525 – ca. 1565) covered the construction of the northern transept and the southern aisle of the nave.
The third construction phase (ca. 1565 – 1650) is a period of slow progress, primarily due to the religious wars. Therefore most of the time is used for fixing the damage.
In the fourth construction phase (1650 – 1664), the church is finished in its current state. Also the west side of the nave was temporarily closed with bricks until new funds were found to add the western tower.
In the end, the planned impressive western tower was never built.
During the most important reconstruction period (1854 – 1867), several exterior features were added, mostly around the roof.
In 1894, the four pinnacles on the transept were added.
At the beginning of the 20th century renovation of the interior started.
On March 29, 1947 the roof was severely damaged by fire. This resulted in new renovation works, which lasted until 1958.
During the seventies of the previous century the stained glass windows were renovated.
Very remarkable in this church is a painting of master painter Pieter Paul Rubens, at the altar of Saint Roch, located at the north side of the southern transept.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?