fullheightview-western-view-from-rue-jeanne-d-archttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/541930-Medium-fullheightview-western-view-from-rue-jeanne-d-arc.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/541930-Large-fullheightview-western-view-from-rue-jeanne-d-arc.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderenphotoofamodel-model-displayed-in-the-cathedralhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/542051-Medium-photoofamodel-model-displayed-in-the-cathedral.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/542051-Large-photoofamodel-model-displayed-in-the-cathedral.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderenexterior-view-from-the-southwesthttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/542091-Medium-exterior-view-from-the-southwest.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/542091-Large-exterior-view-from-the-southwest.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderen
The east chapel and its statue of Our Lady of Sorrows was completed in 1623.
From the original building that was coming to completion in the 16th century, only the radial chapels, the outer walls of the nave at the choir side and two traves in their full height of the front nave remain. All the rest was destroyed by Huguenots in 1568.
The western façade is 54 m wide and 41 m high.
In 1679 the construction of the transepts and its rose windows were finished. In the same year, an effigy of Louis XIV is added to the exterior.
The choir was panelled in 1706.
The height under the vault of the nave is 32 m.
The height of the two towers on the western front is 81 meters.
When the construction started the main purpose was to surpass, in all dimensions, other existing cathedrals.
The cathedral was constructed with a nave of five aisles, the apse plus choir having six traves and the choir setting a record for having nine radial chapels.
Generally, the reconstruction after the destruction of 1568, kept close to the original plan.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?