The original building cost of the building was $396,000, and it was completed on October 1, 1875.
The building has been placed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1973.
When the building was built, it was considered by some residents to be too far away from the city.
In 1969, the building was once again renamed as the Pioneer Courthouse.
In 1903, Architect James Knox Taylor remodeled the building and added two additional wings.
In 1896, the United States Government purchased this site for $15,000 after the City Council authorized Mayor Hamilton Boyd to sell the block.
The United States District Court and Portland Post Office were the primary and original tenants. Other original tenants included the Assessor and Collection Office for the Internal Revenue Service and the United States Customs Office.
In 2005, the $23 million renovation was performed by SERA Architects.
The courthouse is the oldest Federal building in the Pacific Northwest and the second oldest Courthouse in the west.
The building was renamed to the Pioneer Post Office after the Post Office re-opened a branch station in 1937.
In September 1933, both the Post Office and Court moved to their new respective headquarters at SW Broadway and Main Streets.
In June 1902, Congress approved a major expansion and renovation which called for adding two wings at the second and third floors and nearly doubling the basement and first floor at a cost of $200,000.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?