lookingup-from-the-westhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/739925-Medium-lookingup-from-the-west.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/739925-Large-lookingup-from-the-west.jpgEd Lewisfullheightview-spire-from-the-southwesthttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/741002-Medium-fullheightview-spire-from-the-southwest.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/741002-Large-fullheightview-spire-from-the-southwest.jpgEd Lewisfullheightview-spire-from-the-northhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/741003-Medium-fullheightview-spire-from-the-north.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/741003-Large-fullheightview-spire-from-the-north.jpgEd Lewis
The poet Sir John Betjeman called the church "one of the last great medieval Gothic masterpieces".
Since erection, the tower and spire have sunk approximately 7 inches, and so are now some 6ft 4in from the vertical. The subsidence is believed to have been caused by sewerage works carried out in 1910.
St. James' Church was built as a result of wealth generated by the wool trade in Louth. Construction on the main body of the church began in 1441 and ended in 1480, with the spire erected between 1501 and the 13th September 1515, when the church was completed.
The spire is the tallest medieval parish church spire in England.
In 1583 a storm threw down the cope stone and 9ft iron cross, shattering 18ft of the spiral stone work. A further part of the spire was again blown down in 1587, and again, in 1628, the steeple was in repair. In 1843 the spire was seriously damaged by lightning and was restored a year later.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?