There has been a church on this site since the 12th Century. This church was rebuilt in 1440 and subsequently destroyed in 1666 by the Great Fire. It was then rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren between 1686 and 1690.
St. Margaret's is the parish church of the Bank of England and contains one of the finest examples of English organs, built by George England and first used on Easter Day, 1801. It was restored in 1984, stands in its original case and contains nearly all its original pipework.