The great location of this Town Hall on corner of George & Druitt Streets was once a old burial ground from 1792-1820.
The first stage contained vestibule, tower & Council chamber and the second stage became the Main Hall, basement, a large hall & rooms. Architects Albert Bond, D. Macbeath, Thomas Sapsford and George McRae witnessed the completion of the building.
A design by Tasmanian architect J.H. Willson was selected and construction commenced in 1869. The building was built over 20 years in two stages and completed in 1889.
The centrepiece of the Main Hall is the Grand Organ, which was the largest in the world at the time. It still remains only one of two of its type in the world.
A bird cage lift was added to the Grand Staircase of the Town Hall in 1906 and remains the sole surviving example of its kind in the state & still operates by its original motor.
The clock tower was Sydney's tallest structure on completion, surpassing the 52m copper spire of St James.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?