More than 90% of the debris generated by the demolition was recycled.
The foundation stone of this building was laid by Governor-General Sir William Slim on July 13, 1958.
The City Central consortium had initially decided to retain this building, with the intention of stripping it to its structural skeleton and recladding it with a modern glass facade.
This was the first high-rise building in Adelaide to have a helipad on the roof.
This building was built 2 levels above the then height restrictions, however because the top 2 floors were not occupied, they were technically classified as 'plant floors'. However, once height restrictions were eased, they were easily converted into much needed office space.
After a detailed assessment of this building it was decided to instead demolish it as it had a high level of asbestos, the core was deemed to be structurally weak and the present structure could not be transformed into fashionable column-free office space.
Due to the innovative demolition techniques employed by the demolition company; McMahon Services Australia was awarded the 2008 Master Builders Association award for best Services provider.
Whilst demolition was still underway on this building, construction of the basement of Ernst & Young Tower had begun.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?