exterior-view-on-towerhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/213733-Medium-exterior-view-on-tower.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/213733-Large-exterior-view-on-tower.jpgphotoofamodel-model-displayed-in-the-belfryhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/703654-Medium-photoofamodel-model-displayed-in-the-belfry.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/703654-Large-photoofamodel-model-displayed-in-the-belfry.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderenbelfort-van-brugge-bruges-belgium-belgium-exterior-fullheightviewhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/911273-Medium-belfort-van-brugge-bruges-belgium-belgium-exterior-fullheightview.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/911273-Large-belfort-van-brugge-bruges-belgium-belgium-exterior-fullheightview.jpg
The first belfry was a stone tower with a wooden spire.
The halls surrounding the tower were expanded during the 15th century.
In 1493, the wooden spire was destroyed by lightning. The spire was again rebuilt.
In 1822, the tower received a gothic looking crown on top instead of a spire.
366 steps lead to the observation floor.
The current octagonal tower with a wooden spire was constructed from 1483 to 1487.
The spire was again destroyed by fire in 1741. Repairs were finished in 1753.
Viewed from the front of the building, the tower is leaning 1m to the left.
The belfry stands on a site once occupied by several Halls.
The halls surrounding the tower had a commercial function, while the second floor served as a treasure room and archive.
Repairs to the building's damage were completed in 1296.
In 1280 the upper part of the building was destroyed by fire. All the archives stored in the building were lost.
In 1675 the carillon had 35 bells and was designed by Melchior de Haze from Antwerp. After the fire of 1741, a new carillon with 47 bells weighing 26 tons and built by Joris Dumery was installed which is still in use today.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?