The tower portion (original construction) of this building contains 104,000 square feet of office space.
The tower portion contains 3.5 million pounds of structural steel, and 654,000 bricks in 17 different colors.
The letters of the historic "Michigan National" sign were made of porcelain enamel and lit with red neon. They were 4.5 feet tall and 200 to 300 pounds each.
A 11-story addition was added to the east side of the tower between 1965 and 1967.
The Michigan National Tower was originally named the Olds Towers in honor of industrialist Ransom E. Olds. The brick and stone tower, with its tall, narrow profile topped with a spire and beacon, was typical of American skyscraper design in the early 1930's. Four engraved panels in the portals of the main passenger elevators also reflect themes of labor and industry typical of the time.
This tower is the tallest office building in Michigan outside of Metropolitan Detroit.
The historic, neon "Michigan National" sign was dismantled in November of 2001 after 47 years of use as Standard Federal bought out Michigan National Bank in October of that year. Most of the letters had to be scrapped due to their poor state, but three were saved.
The tower underwent a much needed replacement of its windows and other minor repairs in 2004.
This building was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 2005.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?