ok We use cookies on our website to allow you the best possible service. More information can be found here.
Your location:

Portland Building

View all 26 images Download as PDF Purchase Images

Identification

Portland Building
Portland Municipal Services Building
122646

Map

Structure in General

high-rise building
existing [completed]
steel
concrete
glass
applied masonry
light yellow dark green dark red
postmodernism

Usages

governmental office

Facts

  • Portlandia, in front of the Portland Building, is the second largest copper statue in the United States after the Statue of Liberty.
  • Original design by Los Angeles architect Frank Gehry.
  • National AIA Honor Award, May 1983.
  • Opened and dedicated on October 2, 1982.
  • Portland Building is located on a 200-square feet block area.
  • The original building budget was $22.4 million.
  • In September, 1995 during a small renovation on the 14th floor, revealed extensive cracking in the overlying floor slab.
  • The Portland Building has been both on Time and Newsweek front covers.
  • Graves building design was the most inexpensive design submitted at US $24,500,000.
  • During the design phase, eleven design-build teams initially responded to the published RFP (Request For Proposals).
  • Erickson’s proposed design consisted of reflective glass facade suspended on pilotis, with a series of setbacks at ground level for public use.
  • In 1933, Tourtellotte and Hummel proposed a high-rise building that was never built on the spot where the Portland Buidling is currently located.
  • The Portland Building is considered to be among the earliest examples of U.S. postmodern large-scale structures.
  • Portlandia's dedication was on October 6th, 1985.
  • Belluschi, one of Portland most recognized architects, lobbied against Graves’ building design as it looked like “…oversized beribboned Christmas package”.
  • The initial proposed designs of the final three design-build teams did not fully meet the city's requirements.
  • Above the entrance of Portland Building, the 38-feet tall Portlandia holds a trident in one hand and reaches toward the street with the other.
  • The proposal put forth by the Giurgola design team mostly met the set specifications of the City; however, it exceeded the budget by US $6 million.
  • In 1985, a case study conducted by an independent agency revealed that the building's energy consumption was at 57,500 BTU/sq ft/yr; 22 percent over the Graves, Hoffman and Morse/Diesel team's prediction.
  • The final three design-build teams were Arthur Erickson and Mitchell/Giurgola, and Michael Graves.
  • The building's first 3 stories are clad in dark green tiles. The building's main section is cream-colored with small, 4 feet square windows and terracotta-colored pilasters.
  • The initial design called for an office building, 360,000 square-feet, and an underground level for parking.
  • Sculptor/architect Raymond Kaskey of Washington, D.C. assembled the statue's nine sections before the Willamette River trip towards the Portland Building.

Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?

More Information

Location

1120 SW 5th Avenue
SW Main Street, SW Madison Street, SW 4th Avenue
1120 SW 5th Avenue
97204
Downtown
Downtown
Portland
Oregon
U.S.A.

Technical Data

231.00 ft
215.00 ft
15
1982
75
$41,200,000

Involved Companies



Show now
Show now
Show now

Features & Amenities

  • One of the city's famous buildings
  • City landmark
Found a mistake?
Related Buildings