exterior-south-side-of-the-building-near-beaver-streethttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/262667-Medium-exterior-south-side-of-the-building-near-beaver-street.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/262667-Large-exterior-south-side-of-the-building-near-beaver-street.jpgJohn Slaughterfullheightview-view-from-the-southwest-across-bowling-greenhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/453143-Medium-fullheightview-view-from-the-southwest-across-bowling-green.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/453143-Large-fullheightview-view-from-the-southwest-across-bowling-green.jpgJohn W. Cahilllookingup-from-the-southwesthttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/603238-Medium-lookingup-from-the-southwest.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/603238-Large-lookingup-from-the-southwest.jpgTectonic Photo
The lobby, lined with pilasters and columns, sports the names of the founders of the oil company, including John D. Rockefeller. The Standard Oil Clock shows hours with the letter 'S' and minutes with the 'O'.
Directly across Broadway from the Cunard Building, the Standard Oil Building's lower facade follows the curve of the street while its pyramid- topped tower is aligned with Manhattan's street grid uptown.
Before the post-war building boom obscured the Standard Oil Building, the lantern atop its tower could be seen by ships entering New York harbor.
26 Broadway was built as the headquarters for the New York branch of Rockefeller's broken-up Standard Oil Trust Org., the Socony (the latter-day Mobil Oil).
The southwest corner of the lot was occupied by a separate Produce Exchange Bank Building until the main tower was nearly finished. It was demolished in Oct-Nov 1923 to make way for a wing of this building.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?