Originally designed as a 16-storey building, the design was revised to 29-storeys with twin towers, as enabled by the Multiple Dwelling Act.
With the Depression affecting the economics, the developer Louis Kiosk had to sell the building to the Central Park Plaza Corporation before its completion.
The building was landmarked in 1985.
The Eldorado was built in 1929-1931 and replaced the eight-storey Hotel El Dorado by Neville & Bagge (1902).
A stainless steel archway leads through intricate glass doors into the classical entrance lobby, with wood panellings and marble floor, as well as muralled walls.
The building has a cast stone base with bronze reliefs and a massive un-setback bulk with a series of darker vertical bands.
The towers have similar bands and end in setbacks and top finials intruduced to the design by Emery Roth.
Designed as a less extravagant development of the earlier multi-towered apartment buildings, the apartments were generally smaller in size, although not less sumptuous, with Art Deco-r, hardwood floors and 3-meter ceilings.
The building was converted to a co-op in 1982 and incorporates at the present 216 apartments, with a total of 1,300 rooms.
The towers house only one apartment per floor, resulting in a true all-around view from these apartments.
The famous Eldorado residents include Marilyn Monroe, Faye Dunaway and Groucho Marx.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?