The present-day clock and chimes were repaired and installed by the brothers Butenop in 1851.
The tower's gate facing The Red Square has always been the main entrance to the Kremlin.
On April, 16, 1658, according to the decree signed by Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich, the tower was renamed from Frolovskaya to Spasskaya.
In 1935, the tower’s marquee was crowned with a five-pointed star which was replaced by larger one (diameter of 3.75m) in 1937.
The star at the Tower's top rotates under the wind like a weathervane.
Day and night the star’s surface is illuminated from the inside by a lamp of 5000W.
Initially, it was built in 1491 by Italian architect Pietro Antonio Solari.
It's height without the star is 67.3m.
In 1920, during the restoration of the tower, musician M. Cheremnykh and the Kremlin’s plumber N. Berens rearranged the playing mechanism as to play the tune of “The International”.
The first clock on the Spasskaya Tower was installed by Christopher Galloway, English clockmaster.
In 1624-1625, Spasskaya Tower was the first Kremlin tower overbuilt with a high multi-tiered top and a stone marquee. The construction of the marquee was supervised by Russian architect Bazhen Ogurtsov and English clockmaster Christopher Galloway.
Initially, the pass-tower was called Frolovskaya.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?