fullheightview-view-from-the-southhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/465885-Medium-fullheightview-view-from-the-south.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/465885-Large-fullheightview-view-from-the-south.jpgJonathan Smithfullheightview-view-from-mansford-streethttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/465888-Medium-fullheightview-view-from-mansford-street.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/465888-Large-fullheightview-view-from-mansford-street.jpgJonathan Smithfacadedetail-detail-of-one-of-the-four-interlocking-wingshttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/465886-Medium-facadedetail-detail-of-one-of-the-four-interlocking-wings.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/465886-Large-facadedetail-detail-of-one-of-the-four-interlocking-wings.jpgJonathan Smith
Keeling House was approved in 1951 and contains 64 flats.
The redevelopment saw the reinstatement of the building’s original colours as well as landscaping and an enclosed pool.
Keeling House had four wings grouped around a central services core and in 1993 became the first council block to be listed.
The building was emptied of tenants in 1992 due to fears that the original construction quality was sub-standard and was sold as a derelict (having been given Grade II* listing) for development into private apartments in 1999.
Keeling House was originally designed to create a typical East End community in high-rise format, the apartments being arranged in two-storey maisonettes to recreate the feel of urban life at street level.
The redevelopment of Keeling House won an RIBA Award, 2002 as well as a Civic Trust Commendation.
The entrance lobby contains a plaque to the original architect Sir Denys Lasdun, who is noted for designing the student accommodation at the University of East Anglia and London’s Royal National Theatre.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?