World Trade Center
- Construction began in 1966 and costs were an estimated $1.5 billion.
- Excavation to bedrock 70 feet below produced the material for the Battery Park City landfill project in the Hudson River.
- When complete, the Center met with mixed reviews, but at 1,368 and 1,362 feet and 110 stories each, the twin towers were the world's tallest, and largest, buildings until the Willis Tower surpassed them both in 1974.
- Reportedly construction of the complex began in 1966 when the first concrete was poured into the trench for a telephone vault.
- The gigantic office complex of never-before-seen proportions was created as a "catalyst" to revitalize Lower Manhattan and attract major companies back into Downtown.
- The World Trade Center was more than its signature twin towers: it was a complex of seven buildings covering 16 acres, constructed by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- The World Trade Center was destroyed in large parts during the September 2001 terrorist attacks on the city.
- The enormous complex removed from the street map several streets such as West Broadway, Greenwich and Fulton streets, and wiped out an entire neighborhood called "Radio Row", famous for its thrift stores for used electronics.
- Please open the link of New World Trade Center to see the proposals for new towers.
Also recorded for this building:
Concrete supplier, Demolition company, Developer, Electrical engineering, Elevator supplier, Facade maintenance system installation, Facade maintenance system supplier, Facade supplier, Fire protection engineering, General contractor, Light engineering, Lightning protection, Mechanical engineering, Owner, Roofing supplier, Structural engineering, Tenant, Wind surveyor
|1||One World Trade Center||1,368 ft||110||skyscraper||1972||
|2||Two World Trade Center||1,362 ft||110||skyscraper||1973||
|3||Seven World Trade Center||570 ft||47||skyscraper||1987||
|4||Three World Trade Center||242 ft||24||high-rise building||1981||
|5||Four World Trade Center||9||low-rise building||1977||
|6||Five World Trade Center||9||low-rise building||1972||
|7||Six World Trade Center||7||low-rise building||1975||
|8||WTC Mall||subterranean building||1972||