Tegucigalpa was founded four hundred years ago by Spanish settlers alongside a powerful river and surrounded by lush green mountains. History books reveal the city was founded September 29, 1578 in the place know as Teguzgalpa, the new settlement was named Real Minas de San Miguel de Tegucigalpa.
According to Honduran writer and poet Oscar Acosta's book "Eulogio de Tegucigalpa" on 1579 the small town was elevated in rank among other colonial towns and given the title of Alcaldia Mayor with jurisdiction granted by Cedula Real of 1580. King Phillip II of Spain confirmed and established administrative judicial and religious jurisdiction to Spanish authorities in Tegucigalpa extending its dominion down to the Gulf of Fonseca in the Pacific Ocean.
Following Spanish costume to baptize places with the name of the days Saint in which an area was discovered or founded Tegucigalpa was given the name of San Miguel Arcangel.
On June 18, 1763 Real de Minas obtained the title of Villa.
The Constituent Assembly convened in Cedros decreed on August 30, 1824 that Tegucigalpa and Comayagua alternate as capital cities for the State of Honduras.
On October 30, 1880 President Dr. Marco Aurelio Soto proclaimed Tegucigalpa as the only Capital.
No. of Buildings
|1||Sky Residence Club||318 ft||2009|
|2||Mirador Los Andes||214 ft||2007|
|3||Torre Acqua||207 ft||2007|
|7||Buildings with the most construction images|