The Duluth Board of Trade operated from 1881 until 1946.
The intricate carvings in the red sandstone facade are attributed to local mason George Thrana.
The Board of Trade Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing member of the Duluth Commercial Historic District.
Chicago architect Daniel Burnham was hired in 1905 to design the rear addition and to remodel the trading room, which spanned the 2nd through 7th floors. Local architect John Wangenstein assisted in this effort.
The building has 7 floors facing West 1st Street, but large additions to the rear include an additional floor.
A projecting cornice was lost in 1948 due to fire in a neighboring building.
This was the fourth building to house the Duluth Board of Trade, built in response to a fire that destroyed the previous building on February 11, 1894.
It is directly connected to the Missabe Building by a skywalk bridging 3rd Avenue West.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?