Designed by Rhodes Robertson of the Minneapolis firm of Hewitt & Brown.
This is the tallest building completed in Minneapolis during the 1930s.
The lighter section between the main tower and the neighboring McKnight Building was completed at a later date and stands 196 feet to the main roof slab.
Characteristic of American skyscraper design between the world wars, with subdued horizontal lines and an emphasized verticality. This effect is amplified by the dull-finish aluminum covering the spandrels between the tops and bottoms of all windows, resulting in light and dark vertical stripes which give an upward movement to the design.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
This is the tallest building in downtown Minneapolis without direct skyway access.
Details symbolic of communication are incorporated into the decorations. The metal work of the 755 windows is of steel and cast aluminum. The doors are of bronze. Excepting a small amount of marble on the walls of the ground floor, all of these materials are from Minnesota.
Height increased from 346 feet to 416 feet with the addition of the rooftop antenna structure/penthouse in 1958, to the designs of Magney, Tusler & Setter.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?