The Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum is located in the monument's lower level.
Constructed of gray oolitic limestone, the monument commemorates Indiana war dead from 1776-1865.
The Soldiers and Sailors Monument is the focal point of the 342-foot diameter Monument Circle. The site was once home to the Governor's Mansion, but no Governor ever resided in the house. The empty structure was razed in 1857.
The Limestone Sculptures at the monument's base are the work of Austrian Sculptor Rudolf Schwarz and the Bronze Astragal the work of Nicolaus Geiger of Berlin.
An extensive renovation of the monument by Schmidt Associates and Geupel DeMars was completed in 1989.
The monument was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
An indoor observation deck at the 244.5-foot level can be reached by a single elevator or stairway.
The building's renovation was recognized in 1990 with the Monumental Award, representing the most significant visual and physical enhancement in Marion County.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?