Your location:

Bank of Italy Building

Identification

Bank of Italy Building
the Bank of America Building
118602

Map

Structure in General

high-rise building
existing [completed]
rigid frame
steel
brick
terra-cotta
applied masonry
renaissance revival

Usages

commercial office

Facts

  • In the 1920s and '30s, this location was known as the "Bank Corner".
  • Owned by Bank of America from 1927 to 1970.
  • In 2005 the owners took the building off the market electing instead to sell each floor, or parts of a floor, as office condominiums.
  • Owned by Santa Clara University from 1971-1979.
  • Described by Coast and Geodetic Survey 1947: "...it has a large cupola with a green light and a white pole on the top of center of the building".
  • The founder of Bank of America, A.P. Giannini, was born a few blocks from this building that he built.
  • National Geodetic Survey benchmark recorded 1992: N 37 20 09.57382 - W 121 53 24.58221 (NAD 83).
  • Described by the U.S. Air Force 1958: "Pole has gold ball on top and vertical green neon light at base".
  • Tallest building between San Francisco and Los Angeles from 1926-1970 until surpassed by Pruneyard Tower I in nearby Campbell.
  • Opened as the Bank of Italy.
  • Tallest building in San Jose for 61 years.
  • The Spanish-spired tower is San Jose's #1 city landmark.
  • Featured in Architect and Engineering Record of California, the building was hailed as one of the first earthquake-proof constructions in the Valley.
  • Owners Stephen and Judy Lin put the building up for sale in March 2004 with an asking price of $15 million.

Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?

More Information

Location

12 South 1st Street at East Santa Clara Street
95113
San Jose
California
U.S.A.

Technical Data

255.00 ft
176.00 ft
14
1
1925
1926
3
$1,000,000

Involved Companies

Henry A. Minton
real estate agent

Features & Amenities

  • One of the city's famous buildings
  • City landmark