fullheightview-view-to-the-east-from-grand-boulevardhttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/692598-Medium.jpghttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/692598-Large.jpgB. Victor Adams
More than just an office building, the enormous General Motors Building houses a variety of functions such as an auditorium, showrooms, gymnasium, and workshops - as well as symbolizing the power of the world's largest manufacturing corporation.
Its massing consists of a long central block with four wings projecting to either side, giving its 1800 offices a maximum of daylight and fresh air.
The limestone-faced facade follows the tripartite classical formula of basement - here treated with arcades - a gridded shaft, and a crown featuring colonnades.
The restrained ornamentation was done in the Neo-Classical style according to the fashion of the times.
The General Motors Building is a National Historic Landmark.
This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places and named a National Historic Landmark in 1978.
The building contains a 5-story annex at back that holds 195,282 square feet of office space bringing the total square footage of this building to 1,319,536 square feet.
General Motors moved its headquarters to the General Motors Renaissance Center and in 2002 the building was renamed Cadillac Place. It contains offices for the State of Michigan.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?