The office block, faced with yellow brick, adjoins the station at the rear and dominates the whole complex.
The Michigan Central Railroad Station was designed by the architects of New York's Grand Central Station.
Located just west of the central city, it faces Roosevelt Park, planned by Edward H. Bennett as part of Judge Augustus Woodward's overall vision for Detroit.
This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Level A was a mezzanine. Level B is a storage level. Level C is a mechanical level with floors 1-15 above as office floors.
The roof of the rail station is 100 feet high.
In June of 2005, plans fell apart to move the Detroit Police Department to the building, as the extensive renovation and subsequent move were deemed too costly.
The structure contains a massive basement level that was used for mail and baggage purposes.
In Spring 2003, the Michigan Central Station was added to a short list of possible sites to replace the circa-1922 Albert Kahn-designed Detroit Police Headquarters at 1300 Beaubien Street. Another candidate is the former Detroit Free Press Building.
The interior of the top five floors of the office tower were never finished, as high demand for office space in the tower never materialized.
The entire station was shuttered on January 6, 1988, after the facility had become too expensive to maintain with greatly decreased passenger traffic.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?