undefined-view-from-42nd-streethttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/148214-Medium-undefined-view-from-42nd-street.jpghttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/148214-Large-undefined-view-from-42nd-street.jpgtop-view-to-the-northwesthttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/148216-Medium-top-view-to-the-northwest.jpghttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/148216-Large-top-view-to-the-northwest.jpgfullheightview-view-from-the-southeast-on-43rd-streethttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/777238-Medium-fullheightview-view-from-the-southeast-on-43rd-street.jpghttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/777238-Large-fullheightview-view-from-the-southeast-on-43rd-street.jpgJohn W. Cahill
In 1922, the Times filed plans to double the plant’s capacity. Ludlow & Peabody designed the one hundred-foot long addition, which consisted of an expanded staff entrance, five identical bays to the west, and a five-story setback attic level in the style of the French Renaissance.
Founded on Nassau Street in 1851, the Times moved to West 42nd Street in 1905, constructing a skyscraper headquarters at the crossing of Broadway and Seventh Avenue, which had been named Times Square the previous year.
The newspaper quickly outgrew the so-called Times Tower and in 1912-13 the eleven-story Times Annex was constructed about two hundred feet away on the north side of 43rd Street, between Seventh and Eighth Avenues.
The Annex became the newspaper’s headquarters, accommodating editorial and executive departments, as well as new printing presses and mechanical equipment. The editors christened their new headquarters the "monarch of Times Square" and claimed it was the largest newspaper plant in the world.
The west wing was constructed in 1930-32. Albert Kahn, the noted Detroit-based architect, designed the plan and maintained the building’s primarily neo-Gothic vocabulary, adding three additional bays, a second lobby, and roof-top studio. In recognition of its importance to the newspaper, the Annex was renamed the New York Times Building in 1942.
Architect Mortimer J. Fox, of the firm Buchman & Fox, closely patterned the tripartite neo-Gothic elevations on the 1905 building, designing a limestone base and brick shaft, crowned by a richly embellished terra-cotta cornice and parapet.
Built in three stages between 1912 and 1932, the New York Times Building reflects both the development of the Times Square neighborhood and the history of one of the most-highly respected newspapers in the United States.
The New York Times Building is one of Times Square’s oldest and best preserved non-theatrical structures.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?