exterior-view-from-the-northwest-past-trinity-church-with-the-wall-street-corridor-to-the-lefthttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/452576-Medium.jpghttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/452576-Large.jpgJohn W. Cahill
exterior-view-from-the-northwest-past-trinity-churchhttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/452458-Medium.jpghttp://www.emporis.com/images/show/452458-Large.jpgJohn W. Cahill
A matching 36 floor addition to the south was completed in 1965, to the designs of Smith Smith Haines Waehler & Lundberg, a successor firm to Voorhees, Gmelin & Walker.
Constructed in 1929-31 as the corporate headquarters of the Irving Trust Company, this 50-story, limestone-faced skyscraper is situated on what was considered the "most expensive real estate in New York", the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway.
At 1 Wall Street, the architects employed a smooth limestone skin arranged in a series of undulating surfaces to simulate a fluted column, or the effect of draped material hanging from the sky, varying the rhythm of the curves throughout the building.
Faced with numerous problems at the facades and roofs of this limestone-clad building, The Bank of New York commissioned Hoffmann Architects in 2001 to conduct an exterior condition survey and develop a master plan for the exterior restoration. The master plan delineates a five-year phased construction program of facade and mortar repair, roof replacements, and window replacements.
Subtle setbacks lead to a narrow tower enhanced by large window openings near the top.
The faceted, chamfered corners and pointed tops of the fluted bays create a crystalline effect at the crown of the building.
The lower stories are accentuated by narrow window openings with decorative mullions, shallow incised designs, and theatrically-inspired entranceways.
Construction started July of 1929.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?