When finished, the granite, terra-cotta, and brick-clad structure rose 348 feet above the sidewalk to the structure's lantern top.
On its high floors a copper-clad iron bridge spanned the light court of the U- shaped building, which featured several engineering firsts, including the use of pneumatic caissons for the foundations, designed by engineer Charles Sooysmith.
By the 1960s, the building was no longer particularly tall or fashionable, and was demolished to make way for the 1965 addition to the Irving Trust Company’s Art Deco One Wall Street, now The Bank of New York.
The Manhattan Life Insurance Company, founded in 1850, began construction of this skyscraper in 1893.
The interior was heated and cooled through one of the first uses of electric ventilation.
When completed in 1894, the 348-foot structure designed by Kimball & Thompson was the tallest building in the world.
Wishing to create an architectural symbol to outshine its rivals, in 1892 the Manhattan Life Insurance Company held a competition for its new headquarters at 64-70 Broadway across from Trinity Church, selecting architects Kimball and Thompson.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?