Structure in General
spanish colonial revival
- The clock tower is modeled after the Giralda Tower of Sevilla Cathedral.
- The entire east and south facades are lit at night from a bank of 1000-watt floodlights across the river.
- Featured in the 1957 sci-fi film "Beginning of the End", where it was attacked by giant grasshoppers.
- Clad in glazed terra-cotta, which remains white without regular cleaning.
- Tallest building in Chicago from 1922 to 1924; surpassed by the Chicago Temple Building.
- Built on the approximate site of Chicago's first home, the homestead of Jean Baptiste Point du Sable.
- Because of Michigan Avenue's shift to the east at the Chicago River, the building looks straight down the avenue and can be seen from anywhere along the western edge of Grant Park.
- The Wrigley Building was the first large office building north of the Chicago River.
- An enclosed bridge at the 14th floor and a 3-story breezeway at ground level connect the building to the Wrigley Building North Addition.
- None of the building's four corners is a right angle. The southwest corner is 84°, northwest 102°, northeast 42°, and southeast 132°.
- The chief designer of the Wrigley Building was Charles G. Beersman, who joined Graham, Anderson, Probst & White in 1919 after winning the Le Brun Fellowship.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
400 North Michigan Avenue
Also recorded for this building:
elevator supplier, facade supplier, structural engineering
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Clock(s) displayed on the outside
- Floodlighting at night
- Skybridge link to next building