Westin Peachtree Plaza
Structure in General
- The design is very similar to the Marriott Renaissance Center in Detroit, with a large glass cylinder attached to a much narrower one.
- Glass elevators in the small cylinder lead to a revolving restaurant and public observatory.
- The Peachtree Plaza now stands where the 13-story Henry Grady Hotel once stood.
- The Peachtree Plaza was Atlanta's tallest completed building from 1976 to 1987, when the One Atlantic Center became Atlanta's tallest.
- Overtook Radisson Royal Hotel in Moscow as the world's tallest hotel.
- The height on the Peachtree Street side is 700 feet from the street to the penthouse.
- Floors 1-4 contain parking spaces for 1,000 cars, floor 5 is the lobby, floors 6-14 contain meeting space, floors 15-70 include 1,068 guest rooms and floors 71-73 contain a revolving restaurant, observation deck, and lounge called the Sundial Bar & View.
- Multiple scenes from the 1981 film Sharky's Machine, starring Burt Reynolds were filmed within the hotel and Sundial restaurant.
- The 220 foot free-fall by stuntman Dar Robinson from the tower in Sharky's Machine is the longest outdoor free-fall stunt, completed without wires, carried out for a commercial film.
- The top floor rotates on a 30 minute cycle while the one below rotates every 60 minutes.
- The diameter of this building is 188 feet (57m).
- Although several local Atlanta radio stations use the broadcast tower on top of the building, WZGC "Dave FM", owned by CBS Radio, is the owner and primary operator.
- The building suffered extensive damage from a F2 tornado that struck nearby on the evening of March 14, 2008.
- During the 2008 tornado, the building lost over 100 windows and the top swayed several feet.
- Tallest hotel building in the world when completed, surpassed by Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
developer, facade designer, general contractor, tenant, window supplier
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Observation floor is available
- Panoramic elevators are present
- Revolving floor is present
- Transmission antenna on roof