Westin Peachtree Plaza
Westin Peachtree Plaza
Structure in General
- The design is very similar to the Marriott Renaissance Center in Detroit, with a large glass cylinder attached to a much narrower one.
- Glass elevators in the small cylinder lead to a revolving restaurant and public observatory.
- The Peachtree Plaza now stands where the 13-story Henry Grady Hotel once stood.
- The Peachtree Plaza was Atlanta's tallest completed building from 1976 to 1987, when the One Atlantic Center became Atlanta's tallest.
- Overtook Hotel Ukraine in Moscow as the world's tallest hotel.
- The height on the Peachtree Street side is 700 feet from the street to the penthouse.
- Floors 1-4 contain parking spaces for 1,000 cars, floor 5 is the lobby, floors 6-14 contain meeting space, floors 15-70 include 1,068 guest rooms and floors 71-73 contain a revolving restaurant, observation deck, and lounge called the Sundial Bar & View.
- Multiple scenes from the 1981 film Sharky's Machine, starring Burt Reynolds were filmed within the hotel and Sundial restaurant.
- The 220 foot free-fall by stuntman Dar Robinson from the tower in Sharky's Machine is the longest outdoor free-fall stunt, completed without wires, carried out for a commercial film.
- The top floor rotates on a 30 minute cycle while the one below rotates every 60 minutes.
- The diameter of this building is 188 feet (57m).
- Although several local Atlanta radio stations use the broadcast tower on top of the building, WZGC "Dave FM", owned by CBS Radio, is the owner and primary operator.
- The building suffered extensive damage from a F2 tornado that struck nearby on the evening of March 14, 2008.
- During the 2008 tornado, the building lost over 100 windows and the top swayed several feet.
- Tallest hotel building in the world when completed, surpassed by Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
202-216 Peachtree Street NW
210 Peachtree Street NW
Also recorded for this building:
general contractor, facade designer, developer, tenant, window supplier
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Observation floor is available
- Panoramic elevators are present
- Revolving floor is present
- Transmission antenna on roof