Structure in General
- Wembley Stadium is the tallest stadium in the world and with a seating capacity of 90,000 has the greatest spectator accommodation in Europe after Camp Nou.
- The arch, which is pitched at 112 degrees, weighs 1,750 tonnes with a 315 metre (1,033 feet) span and supports the world's biggest single span roof. The arch obviates the need for pillars which could obscure attendants' views and supports 5,000 tonnes of the roof structure.
- The arch is 7 metres (23 feet) in diameter and is made of 500 steel tubes which form 13 modules, each of which are 20.5 metres (67 feet) long and supports all of the weight of the north roof and 60% of the weight of the south roof.
- The southern roof can be retracted to allow air and light onto the pitch and can also be retracted to prevent shadows falling on the pitch which improves TV pictures.
- The stadium can easily be adapted to accommodate athletics events and on match days, the arch is illuminated.
- Wembley Stadium is the world's only stadium to sport an aircraft warning beacon.
- Wembley Stadium is the world's largest football (soccer) stadium.
- Wembley Stadium sits on the site of the original Wembley Stadium which was built for the British Empire Exhibition of 1924. It later hosted the 1948 London Olympics and saw England defeat Germany in the 1966 World Cup final.
- Wembley has 2,618 lavatories - more than any other building.
- Two of the floors are given over to corporate VIP boxes, each of which contain private lavatories, kitchens and bars.
- Illumination has been designed to reduce light pollution.
- The stadium is around four times the height and twice the size of the original Wembley it replaced; it is twice the size of the Stade de France.
- Rubble from the original stadium's famous twin towers was incorporated into the new building's foundations.
- The stadium includes 688 catering outlets.
- The grass pitch achieves UEFA 5-star stadium status.
- With an end construction cost of around £900 million, Wembley is the world's most expensive sporting arena.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
general contractor, lightning protection, consultant, planning consultant, roofing supplier, civil engineering, traffic consultant, formwork supplier, wind surveyor, sealants & adhesives supplier, developer, hoist supplier (construction), elevator supplier, master plan architect, interior fit-out, scaffolding, MEP engineering, structural engineering, landscape architect, lighting consultant, quantity surveyor, foundation company, roof installation, escalator supplier, electrical contractor, facade supplier, construction company, rebar supplier, shell construction
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- City landmark