Water Tower Place
Structure in General
- The podium contains a shopping mall anchored by Macy's and American Girl Place. The tower houses a Ritz Carlton Hotel, offices, and condominiums.
- The shopping mall is centered around an eight story terraced atrium with the most famous elevators in Chicago, housed in three bundled hexagonal glass tubes.
- The shopping center was the first of three large indoor malls built near the Water Tower. The others are at 900 North Michigan and Chicago Place.
- In 2002 the entrance was renovated and show windows were inserted into the facade above the arcade.
- The 12-story Pearson Hotel was demolished to make way for Water Tower Place. It stood at the southeast corner of the site.
- World's tallest reinforced concrete building from 1975 to 1990; surpassed by 311 South Wacker, also in Chicago.
- Construction was unexpectedly delayed several weeks when foundation workers discovered an underground stream on the site. The water was plugged by building a giant concrete dome under the building.
- Part of the site was bought from the John Hancock Center, with an easement restricting the tower to the southeast corner of the lot to preserve the Hancock's views.
- When the mall was built it had enough shopping space to contain all existing stores on Michigan Avenue from the river to Oak Street.
- The main entrance to the mall is a two-story set of escalators, with a waterfall between them and winding staircases at the sides.
- Named after the Chicago Water Tower across Michigan Avenue to the southwest.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
concrete supplier, consultant, developer, elevator supplier, escalator supplier, facade maintenance system supplier, facade supplier, general contractor, interior designer, lighting consultant, lightning protection, owner, parking management, property management, shell construction, structural engineering, tenant
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Atrium is present
- Doorman is available
- Fountain is present in building
- Panoramic elevators are present