Structure in General
- The office floors wrap around a giant cylindrical atrium which extends through the roof to a sloping skylight. The atrium is separated from the plaza by a curved glass wall.
- The building houses state government offices, a post office, a rapid transit station serving five train lines, shops, sculptures, a free public art gallery, and a blood donation center.
- At the time of its construction the design was a sharp break from convention, with a broad sloping curve of glass sweeping from one corner of the block to the other. The shape has often been compared to a spaceship.
- The building's bold design by Helmut Jahn was commissioned by four-term Illinois governor James R. Thompson, after whom the building is named.
- Conceived as a futuristic reinterpretation of the state capitol form, the building's skylight and central atrium stand in for the traditional dome and rotunda.
- This structure replaced the Michael A. Bilandic Building across the street as the principal Illinois state government building in Chicago.
- Glass elevators with vaulted tops shuttle passengers up and down a pair of elevator bays that project into the atrium.
- The basement level holds an auditorium and a large food court which opens onto the atrium.
- Just inside the main entrance a waterfall pours down to the lower level between a pair of escalators.
- The plaza features the Jean Dubuffet sculpture Monument With Standing Beast, a 4-piece amorphic fiberglass construction painted white and crossed by a web of black lines.
- The Dubuffet sculpture's companion, Monument With Phantom, is located in the plaza of the Enterprise Plaza in Houston.
- A two-story open gallery encircles the entire building at sidewalk level, with round columns screened by flat granite panels.
- The columns and granite screens which encircle the base continue around the perimeter of the plaza, decreasing in height the farther they get from the building.
- Blue glass, salmon-pink panels, red structural elements, and pink granite give the interior and exterior an eye-catching color scheme.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
fire protection engineering, electrical connections, escalator supplier, electrical contractor, general contractor, facade maintenance system supplier, facility management, owner, roofing supplier, window installation, facade installation, facade consultant
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Atrium is present
- Metro entrance inside building
- Panoramic elevators are present
- Pedway access is available
- Plaza is available to the public