State Life Building, The Stevenson Building
Structure in general
- The Thomas Building was gutted in the Grant fire, one of the largest in Indianapolis history, on 5 November 1973.
- The intense heat from this fire ignited the upper floors of the Symphony Centre, then Hotel Washington, located across Washington Street.
- The Barnes and Thornburg Building, then Merchant's Bank, one half-block to the west was also threatened by the Grant Fire.
- This was the tallest high-rise building in Indianapolis from 1895 until 1908, when One North Pennsylvania, formerly the Oddfellows Building, was completed.
- This was the first building in Indiana to have more than 12 floors over ground.
- This is the tallest building in Indianapolis to have been demolished.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information