Structure in General
radio transmission tv transmission
- Transmits 10 television and 4 FM radio stations.
- Tip of Sutro Tower is 1,815 feet above sea level making it the most visible structure in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Broadcasting began in the summer of 1973.
- The American Broadcasting Company (ABC) purchased the Sutro Mansion in 1948 with the intent to build a 500-foot tower.
- At last count the tower utilized 118 antennae.
- Due to FAA requirements, the tower is painted with white and aviation-orange stripes.
- Sutro Tower, Inc. (STI), the builder/owner/operator, was formed in 1968 by local television stations KTVU-channel 2, KRON-channel 4, KPIX-channel 5, and KGO-channel 7.
- The tower generates over 20 million watts of power.
- Foundation made up of 15 million pounds of concrete. The tower's center of gravity is below the hilltop.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information