Simon Property Group Headquarters
Structure in general
- It was recognized in 2007 with the Monumental Award, representing the most significant visual and physical enhancement in Marion County.
- The redesign changed the building from 234 feet and 15 floors to 259 feet and 14 floors.
- Locally-based Ratio Architects replaced Cooper Carry as design architect after the design was criticized. The exterior envelope was modified after Duke Construction had already started accepting bids for the structural steel.
- The official groundbreaking ceremony took place on October 29, 2004.
- The original design was by Atlanta-based Cooper Carry, Inc.. Local architects and the public complained that the design was uninspired.
- The design released on September 13, 2004 included a 3-story transparent lobby allowing views of the Indiana State House and Capitol Commons from either side.
- There was much public discussion regarding the selection of a popular park for the site of this building. Many citizens were opposed to altering the park and the financial incentives provided by the city of Indianapolis.
- On June 28, 2004, the City-County Council approved $23 million in incentives for construction of this building.
- This building was constructed on the northern third of the Capital Commons Park. It rises over an underground parking garage constructed during the 1980's.
- This project follows the previous Simon Property Group Headquarters, a proposal for the nearby Wholesale District which lasted just a few days in January 2004.
- The first phase of Simon's move to this new building took place on July 7, 2006.
- The building has a 25,000 square foot footprint and is situated at the northeast corner of the site, directly on the Washington Street/Capitol Avenue intersection.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
Landscape architect, Interior designer, Developer, Excavation company, Facade supplier, Client, Concrete supplier, Facade installation, General contractor, Electrical contractor, Glass supplier, Crane supplier (construction), Project management, Structural engineering, Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Fire protection engineering, Steel supplier, Civil engineering, Interior fit-out