Shanghai World Financial Center
Structure in General
- The circular aperture at the top of the original design represented heaven, and would have served to reduce wind load on the building.
- Changes to the design resulted in extra costs of more than US$ 200 million due to the design refinements, including structural system re-design, foundation re-design and increased safety features, made as a consequence of September 11th 2001.
- Located near the Jin Mao Tower in the financial district of Shanghai.
- Due to the design change of the top opening from a circle to a trapezoid, the tram-car system that would travel vertically inside the big circle is cancelled.
- The Consortium invested more than US$850 million for the project.
- The design of the opening near the top of the tower changed in mid-October 2005 during the course of construction, from a circular to a rectangular opening. Architect and developer claim that it is cheaper and easier to implement the new design.
- A widespread rumor in the world news media said the tower will surpass Taipei 101 as the world's tallest building at completion, but is not true.
- The foundation stone was laid on August 27, 1997, but a fund shortage on the Japanese side caused by Asian financial crisis halted the project, and nothing had since been done to the projected structure.
- The consortium funding the project is composed of more than 36 international companies, mainly banking corporations, insurance companies and developers from Japan.
- The tallest building in the People's Republic of China, replacing Jin Mao Tower.
- The observation bridge will be the highest outdoor observation deck in the world.
- The height of this building has changed from its original plan - 94 stories at 460m to the current plan - 101 stories at 492m.
- Construction finally resumed on February 13th, 2003.
- Not implemented within two years, the project should have been canceled according to relevant regulations. However, because it is a project of huge investment and there have been no other suitable investors, the building remained, and in four years would finally rise up in Shanghai.
- Glass and metal were covered on simple geometric bodies to create mysterious sight effects.
- A 6-star hotel will be located near the top of the building, which will be the second highest hotel in the world after the one in International Commerce Centre.
- The maximum elevator speed is 600 m/min.
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information
Also recorded for this building:
construction company, developer, elevator consultant, elevator supplier, facade consultant, facade maintenance system supplier, facade supplier, fire protection engineering, formwork supplier, steel supplier, structural engineering
Features & Amenities
- One of the city's famous buildings
- Observation deck on roof
- Observation floor is available
- Public parking is available