Brixton Tower, Albert Hertzog Tower
Structure in General
- Has an observation deck that used to be open to the public but was closed in the 1980's for security reasons.
- It once housed a restaurant at its base but this was closed in the 1980s and is now used as office space for Sentech, the present owners of the Brixton tower.
- When it was first constructed it broadcast microwave signals and today it transmits radio and television broadcasts.
- Excavations began on February 1st 1961 and the tower reached its full height on December 7th that same year.
- The 53 tonne structural steel mast was completed in just three weeks.
- The foundations are two metres deep and 6 metres wide and it has an external diameter at the base of 25 metres.
- 1342 tonnes of concrete was used in the foundations along with another 5648 tonnes in the tower.
- Upon completion, this was the tallest man-made structure in Africa, eventually overtaken by the Hillbrow Tower .
Do you need more information about this building and its related companies?More Information